Sunday, May 15, 2016

Capturing the Moment World Tour

Hey readers and fans, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Delilah -- pretty sure she's been on this blog before, because she is awesome. I have the honor to be one of the beta readers for this particular novel and I have to tell you, even in rough, it was an amazing story and you are going to LOVE IT.... 

So, tell my audience a little about yourself... 



I'm Delilah. I spent the first 31 years of my life in the chilly Northeast before my partner's work took us to Singapore six years ago. Although I grew up telling and imagining stories, writing them was at best a part-time hobby. I was first introduced to erotica when my ex-boyfriend showed me Literotica.com. I was a senior in college with a thesis due, so obviously the best use of my time was to start writing erotica and erotic fan fiction. Thanks to Literotica, I found my first writing community, and physical friends when I made the move to NYC for grad school.

I've heard a lot of about Literotica -- oddly enough, I myself have never explored its archives, but several of the writers I know got their start there, or in the various fanfic universes, like AO3... Any interesting stories from that world you particularly remember? 

Lit is such a great resource for new writers. There's so much support and love for new writers (and yes, there are trolls sometimes, but that's the internet). I haven't been involved in the website in over five years, but I just re-joined under Delilah_Night if anyone wants to connect there. A lot of my friends have moved on.

I wouldn't have had a social life in NYC if it weren't for Literorica. There was a Boston vs NYC thread, and through that I met most of my friends in NYC. We had "lit-togethers" where we'd meet up for dinner and hang out.

If you  mean actual stories, I couldn't find it on lit anymore, but a writer I knew on the site wrote the best crossover fanfic "Harry Potter and the Eagle of Truthiness" which imagines that Steven Colbert (in his Colbert Report persona) was the Defense against the Dark Arts Teacher at Hogwart. HILARIOUS


~~~~


After grad school, writing became something I had to squeeze in between teaching, getting married, having a highly medical child, and a move to Singapore. Just as Literotica helped me find community in NYC, blogging about expat life helped me create community in Singapore. After the birth of my second daughter, my husband encouraged me to start submitting my work professionally. In the years since I've appeared in a dozen anthologies. Recently, my first solo project, Capturing the Moment, was published. 

Do you remember the first time you got an acceptance letter? (I ask because my 5th year acceptance-iversary just passed and I'm remembering what it was like to read that email for the first time...)

I actually found out that my story had been accepted into Irresistible because I was following Rachel Kramer Bussel on Twitter. She said that she had three stories with Jewish characters, and I thought *hmmmm.* An hour later I got the email. I screamed, grabbed my husband, and may have cried. I was post-partum though, so I cried at the drop of a hat at that point in my life.

Capturing the Moment is my first solo title, and my first professional attempt at something longer than five thousand words. In 2014, I took a solo vacation to Siem Reap, Cambodia to check a significant item off my bucket list--taking a photograph of the 12th century temple, Angkor Wat, at dawn, mirrored in the small lake in front of it. Over the course of four days, I saw a number of ancient temples, visited a silkworm farm, attended an apsara dance performance, and met a number of wonderful people willing to share their stories with me.

Last January, I decided to write a novella. I remembered how it felt to physically be at the water's edge in the dark, at five am, waiting for the sunrise. How heartbreakingly beautiful that sunrise was. How proud I am of the photos I took. I pictured a woman doing the same thing, only to turn around and run into her ex-boyfriend. From there, Capturing the Moment evolved into not only the story of a visit to Siem Reap, but of two ex-lovers reconnecting. The setting is a character as well--the history, art, and locations are very real. Almost every photo that Meg takes is one I have taken. Every place they visit, I've visited/shopped at/eaten at/etc. Darany the tuk tuk driver is a composite of the three drivers and the tour guide I hired. They talked to me about everything from how the school system works to how their families were apart by the bloody reign of the Khmer Rouge, their goals in life (one was working on his English in hopes of becoming a tour guide because they make more money), how they tend the small rice paddy they've cultivated to feed their family, and so much more that did and didn't make its way into the book. They enriched my experience and made my visit so much less superficial than it would have been without them.

Blurb

You never forget your first love…

Meg and RJ were passionately in love. But that was six years and a broken engagement ago.

Meg has only one day in Siem Reap, Cambodia, before she must leave for her sister’s wedding in Bali. She fulfills her dream of taking a photograph of the sun rising behind Angkor Wat, one of the oldest temples in the world. But her joy is short-lived when she turns around to see RJ standing behind her.

RJ threw himself into work after Meg ended their relationship. He’s built a successful business, but it’s a hollow victory. He’s come to Siem Reap to win back the woman he’s never stopped loving. But first he has to convince her to spend the day with him.

Meg is as physically attracted to RJ as she ever was. Maybe the secret to finally getting over him is a one day only, no strings attached fling.

Can RJ win Meg back, or will she love him and leave him?

How long have you known you wanted to be a writer?

It's always been my dream. I'm a bookworm. Every time I went into a library or bookstore, I dreamt of what it would be like to see my name on the spine of book. I'm so thrilled that I have an e-book, but in truth, my next goal is to reach that moment when I can hold a physical novel I've written in my hands.


Was there a perfect moment that crystallized for you, solidified this amazing job?

Although I was a reader, the first series I remember wishing I'd written was "The Baby-Sitters Club" by Ann M. Martin. I would imagine stories where I was one of the BSC members (what I now know would be fanfic). It made me want to have the writing stamina to actually write a book. In third grade we had an English project where we made books. We wrote the stories, typed them out (on a typewriter--I feel so old), illustrated them and bound them. Holding my magnum opus about unicorns that escaped to the mountains of Florida and became friends with hostile Peguses was perhaps the moment the hunger to be author crystallized for me.

I did that project, too, only we did it in 5th grade, and our books were handwritten -- I grew up in a small, rural town, and it was unlikely that anyone in my 5th grade class had access to a typewriter. Do you still have yours? I know exactly where mine is. 

We used the school typewriters for ours. But my family had a typewriter all the way through high school. I remember typing out a fifteen page research paper for my AP History Class on that damn thing. I think it was sold, or perhaps broke while I was at college?  I still do double spaces between sentences. When I'm editing I do a search and replace to convert double spaces into single spaces.

Of course, all writers have their favorite authors, novels, that influence them in their own work (and feel free to mention a few of these, as well), but who are some of your -other- inspirations? Favorite teachers, an old boss, best friend from high school. Who in your life can you honestly say "without them, I wouldn't be here?"

Authors whom I read that inspire me include Mercedes Lackey's early work (especially Magic's Pawn), Anne Bishop's Black Jewel's series, Alison Tyler, Tamsin Flowers, Alisha Rai, and of course Lynn.

Awww. thanks! One of the unexpected benefits to this job has been the absolutely wonderful people I've met and worked with.

Growing up as a poor kid with a single mom, I encountered a lot of people who expected me to fail. That I would become a teenage mom and continue the cycle of poverty. The people who really made a difference in my life include (but are not limited to) the following. My grandmother, for telling me that I was going to go to college so much that I knew that to be a fact before I even knew what college was. Ms Vincent, my first grade teacher, who pushed me to read more challenging books. My high school history teacher for pushing us to write our own research papers and think independently. Two of my college professors--Laura Prieto and Catherine Allgor for pushing me to become a better writer and researcher. The two rocks in my life, though, are my best friend and my husband. I met my best friend at JC Penny's in 1996, when we both worked in the bed and bath department. Whether we lived ten minutes or ten thousand miles apart, we are in constant contact, and I would be lost without her support. She knows details about me that I've forgotten (and vice versa). My husband and I were married in 2006. From the moment we started emailing, there was something there. He is the first person I want to call when something goes good or bad. He is my first beta reader, and does dual duty as my toughest critic and biggest cheerleader. I have two close friends in Singapore with whom I have a 24/7 chat going. We beta read each other's work, support each other when we're down, and talk about everything from our kids and cats to politics to books to anything. In my current writing community, Lynn and Tamsin have become two of my closest friends and cheerleaders. They beta read Capturing the Moment and helped shape it into a story worthy of publication.

Ha! Must be nice to have your spouse so involved with your work -- mine flat-out refuses to read anything that I wrote. He says it's enlightened self-preservation, and if you've ever seen me pissed off, you might agree with him. Does it ever cause you conflicts with your husband?

My husband is my biggest supporter and my toughest critic. I recently submitted a paranormal story, but when I gave him the first draft he was really unhappy with it. I sulked for a while and then I told him I was ready to listen to his critiques. Not the first nor the last time that was my reaction. I let him know when I'm feeling too fragile or depressed to handle the hard criticisms.  


~~~~

Now that you're finished with Capture the Moment, what new stories and ideas are you working on, now? Any goals for the rest of the year?

I actually just finished the first draft of what I hope will be my second book, Plunder. There is a short story version coming out in Rogues this month, but Bree and William demanded a novel. Editing Plunder over the summer in time to submit in the fall is my biggest goal. Here's my blurb for Pluner--Sparks fly when the Caribbean’s most fearsome pirate falls under the spell of a sexy spitfire who’d rather send him to Davy Jones’s locker.

I've written three (four?) short stories this year and I have another three or four planned, including another installment in my North Pole series. (New on the Naughty List is in Coming Together for the Holidays and A Reindeer by Any Other Name is in Coming Together: Strange Shifters)

Within the next few months, I plan to start a paranormal romance that will hopefully begin a series. The first installment will be called The Lioness and the Mouse.

I also have a few ideas for another contemporary kicking around, including the story of an expat leaving Singapore. After living here for six years, and seeing a number of close friends moving on, I've begun to contemplate what the emotional process of leaving after so long would be. How much more complicated does that experience become when you fall in love with someone who is staying put?

There's a country-western song I particularly like called Why Can't Dallas Be In Tennessee, which is about someone moving on and someone staying put and the eventual break up of their relationship. I spend a lot of time yelling at the male singer... "Oh, there's something wrong with you moving to Texas with her? Really?"


LOL. Well if they're Singaporean, getting a visa might make it tough to move to the US :)

Excerpt

The quiet game had begun in their dorm rooms when they were first dating. One night, Meg was sleeping over in RJ’s room. They’d gone to bed wearing pajamas, cuddling until the lights were turned off. Silently, they had waited for Tom to start snoring, signaling that it was safe to hook up.

RJ’s hands had slipped up under Meg’s T-shirt to touch her while they kissed. He’d whispered, “Shh, we have to be quiet,” reminding her that she couldn’t scream when she came. He’d slid a hand into her pajama pants and she had rubbed against his eager fingers.

RJ had rolled on top of her. Missionary position had carried less risk of dislodging bedding and exposing themselves to Tom if he woke up. The thin layers between them did nothing to hide his erection. Her eager mouth had explored his neck, his chest, his nipples, always returning to his full lips.

Their desire had mounted until they couldn’t resist any longer. Pajama bottoms had been discarded. RJ lay on top of her, their legs entangled.

“Be quiet or Tom will hear you,” RJ had reminded her.

It had been an erotic charge to try to keep their tryst from revealing any skin above the blanket and to stay as silent as possible.

RJ had made it harder. He’d taken his time, whispering dirty suggestions as he’d thrusted into her. “What would you do if I invited Tom to join us? Would you suck his cock while I fucked you from behind? Don’t you want to let him hear you? You’d love it if I tossed this blanket off us right now and he could see us fucking.”

Fantasies Meg had confessed to RJ while he’d gone down on her in the basement of the library. Hearing him suggest them back to her had aroused Meg until she had been panting. She’d moved her hips eagerly, meeting his. She’d whimpered when his fingers had slipped between them to stroke her clit.

“If you can’t be quiet, I’ll have to spank you,” RJ admonished her. “Of course, you want to be spanked again, don’t you?”

The idea of a spanking had triggered her orgasm. She’d turned her head and buried it in a pillow to muffle her screams. RJ had known how to play her like a violin.

Voyeuristic fantasies had become a regular part of their sex life. The idea of Tom seeing them, or of RJ sharing her with Tom had always gotten her off. The following year he’d gotten a single dorm, which had simplified their sex life, although Meg had missed the thrill of near discovery.

* * * *


They were alone in a hotel room but it was time to play the quiet game again. RJ’s tongue worked its magic, flicking the swollen bud faster. The fire that had been building blazed. Meg ground her teeth. She grabbed a pillow to let out a soft moan.

“Bad girl,” he murmured. His teeth nipped her and she was ready to beg.

“RJ, fuck me, please. I need you.” Her voice was barely above a whisper, her tone urgent.

When he licked her aggressively, she couldn’t help it. She gave herself over to the inferno. Writhing beneath his merciless tongue, she screamed, “Oh, God, RJ! Yes! Don’t stop!”

He chuckled. “Your broke the rules. Turn over.”

You never forget your first love…

Meg and RJ were passionately in love. But that was six years and a broken engagement ago.

Meg has only one day in Siem Reap, Cambodia, before she must leave for her sister’s wedding in Bali. She fulfills her dream of taking a photograph of the sun rising behind Angkor Wat, one of the oldest temples in the world. But her joy is short-lived when she turns around to see RJ standing behind her.

RJ threw himself into work after Meg ended their relationship. He’s built a successful business, but it’s a hollow victory. He’s come to Siem Reap to win back the woman he’s never stopped loving. But first he has to convince her to spend the day with him.

Meg is as physically attracted to RJ as she ever was. Maybe the secret to finally getting over him is a one day only, no strings attached fling.

Can RJ win Meg back, or will she love him and leave him?


Capturing the Moment is on sale everywhere!

Bio



After 30 years of snowy New England winters, Delilah Night moved to steamy Southeast Asia. While she doesn’t miss shoveling snow, she does miss shopping for bargains at Target.

In 2014, Delilah visited Cambodia for the first time and fell in love with Siem Reap. Many of her misadventures from that vacation (including the one with the monkey) made their way into this story.


Connect with Delilah on her blog, Twitter, or Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Lynn! Anyone who leave a comment may win a free copy of Capturing the Moment!

    ReplyDelete