Thursday, May 9, 2013

Guest Post: John Tomaino


More about me and my books here: www.johntomaino.com
What are your greatest challenges in your writing career?
Finding (read making) the time to write. This is all about priorities. The story ideas are always there for me, so it's more about the discipline of making time and not succumbing to life's distractions.
Of your published works, do you have a favorite? Why?
It seems that my latest works, in this case: 'Saint Menace: The Patron Saint of Terror', are my favorites as my writing improves with every publication. However, as for a story, I think 'The White Room', my first novella published by Karabeth, will always hold a special place for me. It's a uniquely spooky and unsettling piece about a woman who voluntarily admits herself into a psychiatric institution, but struggles to get out.
What are your biggest pet peeves for other people's grammar? Are there any mistakes that you find yourself making regularly?
Social media grammar - or should I say 'gramma' is just atrocious! But I guess there is no turning back from the slipshod, fast-food approach to communicating on these platforms. For me, I always have to double check that I'm using 'past' and 'passed' correctly. To this day I am still unsure, to be honest! Did I pass?
Do you ever want to go back and edit an older story?
If I re-read a story, I invariably want to change something, but it's usually not the editing as I'm fanatical about tightening things up. I'm sure that painters must wish they could carry around a paint brush and re-visit their old exhibitions and apply that missing dab or stroke, just to finish off the painting... but is it ever really finished?
What's your writing routine?
Sporadic, in short furious bursts, then nothing for ages!
What writers or novels do you consider “must reads”?
I learnt a lot from Stephen King's 'On Writing'. Omit needless words is the key. It sharpens your work. Using less words, but more meaningful and effective ones, is a good lesson to learn. It's just like music: simple with less notes generally works best. Simon and Garfunkel are just guitar and vocals and they are mesmerizing, aren't they? Because less is more and cuts closer to the heart.
Talk to us about your domestic life; favorite recipe, pets, children, your house...
I have a newborn that is a tiny terror at night. Ava leaves me plenty of time to write - or at least think about it!
Tell us three things about you that are interesting.
I write original pop/rock music. See www.myspace.com/jttunes.com 
I still work full time in the justice system.
I am a music producer and develop other artists.


No comments:

Post a Comment